In 1852, Rev. Joseph Goodrich brought coffee to this region. Before long, over eight plantations were established, the largest boasting 1,000 acres (405 hectares). Fires and sugarcane quelled coffee production here until the sugarcane ceased in the mid-1990s. This region is a cool, high-rainfall, red soil-based coffee area that has now resumed coffee production predominantly with Typica, though Caturra and Catuai are somewhat common. The average farm size is five to seven acres on elevations between 350′ to 2500′ (107 to 760 meters).